Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Filler Work

When life gets really busy, and there's no time to work on the project I want to be devoted to, it's time to bring out the yo-yos. Over the last 8 or 9 years (guesstimate), I have been making blue and beige yo-yos for an as-yet-to-be-determined project.

I've made so many that it's time I decided what I will do with them! My container can't hold them anymore! Above is the overflow from the tub (below) I'd been using for storage.
I began these yo-yos just prior to one of our European trips - I'm thinking it was 2003. With the circles cut ahead of time, a pair of nail clippers for snipping thread, needle and thread, all tucked inside a large zip-lock bag, they travel well, and make great use of time spent in airports and on planes (reading usually works for me, but it's good to have a back-up plan!).

I have taken them now on several European trips, plus many quilt getaways, weekends at in-laws, Friday morning quiltalongs, etc. These are also nice to grab when you just need something to keep your hands busy without having to think too much!

I have seen many blogs recently about the little hexies that many quilters are making. Their projects are wonderful! Grandmother's Flower Garden and Garden Paths are just a couple that caught my fancy. Seeing the hexies made me think of my little yo-yos, and what I will end up doing with them. I'm thinking a table-topper, but there could be enough to make a coverlet for a single bed.

Oh well, the end game was never the focus. I've always just been interested in keeping the needle busy!

Happy quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!